Sunday 29 September 2019

London September '19

Travelled to London recently for a 'cinematic experience' – a great one, but one that is still running, so I've promised I won't discuss it until about a week into October once the run has ended. That aside it was still a packed weekend of fun, with my sister giving me a tour of Kings Cross and Coal Drops Yard, London's answer to Spinningfields.

Originally the drop-off point for trains coming in from the north, loaded with coal, the area has retained its pit formation but now the sides of the area are populated with craft shops and trendy cocktail bars, some of which we dropped into.

We had a great pizza at Happy Face, underneath which we found Supermax bar, an uber-cool cocktail place with underplayed hip hop on vinyl and décor not a million miles from the Korova Milk Bar in A Clockwork Orange (patrons much better behaved, though). I recognised this track from this body popping contest. 

 



I have Wolf and Badger in my notes as the next bar we went to, but it seems this is a clothing brand. We definitely went to The Lighter Man, a bar that looks like an 80's luxury condominium, with a beer garden, (I liked it) and The German Gymnasium, a huge building, which formerly was the first gymnasium in the UK. Worth going just for the sheer size of it. The Tropical Escape cocktail was a good shout.




 





Samsung UK Headquarters





Google UK Headquarters
I'd be keen to check out the area again.

No comments: