Tuesday 1 October 2019

Excess Month: Research 2019


For the last 2 years I've been attempting NaBloPoMo: National Blog Posting Month. This is an event that some bloggers participate in, although the numbers have dwindled somewhat. It's a month-long challenge in which bloggers all over the world attempt to upload a blog every day, for the month of November.

I've tried this. I managed it in 2017, but failed in 2018 due to my phone's camera conking out. I have a new phone now, and feel ready to take on the challenge again. I normally tie to this project the theme of 'excess,' taking the main components of my blog- exercise, celebs, literature, Manchester events- and attempting to ramp up the output by involving myself in as much of this as possible.

Before this, I would always prepare for a month by reading, and watching films / TV shows, that tied to excess in some way. Think movies about rich or famous people. Businessmen. Drug dealers. Parties. Novels from Bret Easton Ellis, or Jack Kerouac, or writers trying to emulate them (cough). Now that I have Netflix (got as a Christmas present last year) I've got access to a wider range of 'research.' Hence, this starts today. In a month, I'll start Excess Month: Practical, which will coincide with NaBloPoMo, and I'll be looking for events or experiences to blog about. But, for the moment, Archer (privileged alcoholic man-child spy) and Bojack Horseman (burned out anthropomorphic former celebrity coming to terms with depression) will fill my evenings. Last night I finished The Assassination of Gianni Versace, documenting gunman Andrew Cunanan's killing spree in 1997. It's a fascinating character study of a man obsessed with status and celebrity. Well, he was also a psychopath, but that's irrelevant. Incredible misce en scene and a timeline that jumps around before and after the highest-profile of his killings.

Current body weight: 83kg. Let's try not to increase that. Current page views: 681,749. Let's try and increase that instead. Here we go...

No comments: