Saturday 24 October 2020

Pastelling for Science

For the last few weeks I’ve been participating in a project ran by a Cambridge University Psychology undergraduate. MAPLES, or Mood and Participation Leisure Engagement Study,  investigates the challenges faced by people with Acquired Brain Injuries (ABI).

I understand the project was split into 2 groups- mood, and activity. I was placed in the activity group. We were given few choices of what activity we might take up, and we collectively agreed on pastelling, of using pastels to create artwork. Project leader Andrea Kusec posted out some pastels, paper and a blending stick to each of us, and, via group webcam session, we watched a pastelling demonstration in which colours were blended with a stick, kitchen roll, and paper. We had a go at this over the last few weeks, trying different colours and pastelling techniques. We each chipped in with things that worked for us, things that didn’t, and which colours seemed to blend.

Last week we followed a Youtube pastel tutorial, in which we developed a sunset scene. Mine ended up looking more like a forest fire, and my tree resembled more a disjointed menorah than the silhouette of an old oak. It was still all good fun. I doubt I’m going to be the next Malevich.

 


I’m not 100% on how this is going to be interpreted for the MAPLES project, and how it helps develop the field of ABI, but I’m going to trust the science on that. I’m playing my part.

No comments: