Saturday 23 April 2022

Slow-Cooked Brisket with Chimichurri

 

Next up in Rukmini Iyer’s The Roasting Tin: this Argentinian beef treat. 

I perhaps started cooking this a little late, approaching 7pm, so didn’t get to eat until approaching 11pm. The brisket I got from Tesco was pre-rolled, not that I know what an unrolled brisket would look like. The chimichurri required 30g of parsley, which seemed like an awful lot. My little pot of parsley was 11g when it was full. Perhaps fresh parsley, containing more water, would be more substantial. I put on maybe a couple of teaspoons. 

Prep took me nearly an hour, not the 10 mins recommended, but again, that’s memory difficulties. Do a step, check, make notes, check again, wash hands every time you need to write, do another step. Patience. 

Roasting time was 3 hours. Perhaps my oven wasn’t warmed up properly, but 3 hours didn’t seem to cook the beef through. 130ºC seemed a little low so for an extra 15 I blasted it at 200º. This seemed to work, and the butternut squash – a traditionally tough veg – was cooked through and soft. The meat and sauce worked well together, and gave a unique flavour.

No comments: