Saturday 27 May 2023

I spent a month trying (and failing) to get on TV

10 years ago, I managed to get on 2 TV shows, as mentioned last month. I enjoyed both experiences, and planned to get back into TV one way or another, some day. I’ve watched many reality TV shows from being 18 onwards, and I’ve always noticed that there’s no prerequisite for talent or looks. (Make your own mind up if I have either.) 

The opportunity should be there. So, throughout May, I looked around for TV shows looking for subjects and contestants. 

Production companies ask interested parties like myself not to tell anyone about the application, so I can’t tell you a great deal in this blog post. I had ideas for shows that I wanted to apply to, but I found a lot of them were not taking on. The shows that were looking tended to be specific documentaries looking for people who were in specific situations. Are you in the process of a major home improvement? Do you have an antique you’d like valuing? Well, no, I don’t. But I’m still open to suggestions, so I told production companies as much. I received the odd application form, and filled and sent them off. I’ve recorded a few piece-to-cameras selling myself, something I’m getting a little better at doing. But I’ve not heard back from any of them. 

So… maybe I’m too old. Or it’s a waiting game. 

Throughout this month, I’ve tried to keep fit ready for any screen appearance. I’ve stuck to healthy food and kept at the gym. My weight has gone up to 83kg though, and I hit no PBs. No way am I fitting into my suit trousers right now. 

As a project, this TV thing is now complete. While I wait to hear, I have these others. I’m 41 in 2 months...

No comments: