Saturday 22 April 2023

It’s About Time I got Back on TV.

Back in 2013 I was on a couple of TV dating shows. The first was BBC3’s The Year of Making Love, a scientific match-making experiment attempting to create 500 couples using ‘science’ (it turned out to be a multiple choice questionnaire). I made it on screen for a second in the second episode. 

The second show was Sky Living’s Sing Date – imagine ITV’s Take Me Out with added karaoke. It was filmed in 2012, aired in 2013. 

I had a great time filming both of them, but both times, the match wasn’t there with the girls they put me with. I didn’t think there would be, and I really applied to get back into media having studied in it for 6+1/2 years prior, and working in radio for a couple. This time I wanted to be a subject rather than a staff member. I just thought it would be fun, and it was. If I clicked with the girl, that’d be a bonus. I, admittedly, also thought it might lead to the coveted Blue Tick (something that until recently meant that you ‘were someone’ – a public figure or celebrity). It did not. 

But, I only tried those 2 shows. As the years went on, I got involved in other things, but at the back of my mind, I’d always planned to dish out a few more TV show applications. It was a plan to spend a month doing this, just to see where it got me. 10 years later, I still haven’t done this. I’ve applied to a couple of other shows here and there in the meantime, but hadn’t been taken on due to location and other hold-ups. 

So, what if I spend the next month firing out applications to TV shows? Any moron can get famous from going on a reality TV show. You don’t need brains, looks, or even charisma. What do you need? All these attributes might help if you’ve got them, but what is required? 

Well, the desire to go on TV is one thing. I thought loads of people would want to be on TV. I’ve talked to a few people about this, over the last decade or so, and a few of them have said, ‘I could never do that,’ or ‘I can’t think of anything worse.’ Each to their own. It takes a bit of confidence to put yourself out there, and risk making a fool of yourself. And of course, you’ve got to want to take part. But it seems that, for someone who frequently makes a fool of himself (just take a look at my YouTube) I never messed up on TV. Unless you count not being able to hit Brian Adams’ high notes. 

So – for the next month, I’ll fire out a load of applications. I can’t tell you what shows they will be. TV producers want you to keep these things under wraps in the lead-up to the airing date. But I have a list. 

In the meantime, I will once again cut out chocolate and other junk food, get my weight down, work on bodyweight exercises, ignore cravings, get back into my suit trousers (preferably through recipes, not grotesque vegetable smoothies, although who can say) and be as healthy as possible for any potential TV series.

No comments: