Saturday 15 April 2023

Doi Maach

  

I opened the cookbook for Mother’s Day and invited the parents around, settling on Doi Maach, fish with yoghurt and turmeric. I found this in India Express, Rukmini Iyer’s eastern-themed cookbook.   

One of the issues with living with memory difficulties: you can read something, get it confused, and think the plan is quite different to what it actually is. I knew this recipe was going to take a certain amount of time, so I got up in the morning to buy the ingredients. The error was that the first part needed to be done with a minimum 2-hour gap between the second part: a mixture of ingredients to create a marinade, then a period of chilling the marinade in the fridge. I forgot this and didn’t start the recipe until just after 5pm.   

This was the first error. I just forgot.   

Then I forgot to cook the rice, plenty of which I had in packets left over from previous recipes. There was still enough content for the 3 of us though, and the resulting meal came out spicy and unique. Whether it would have tasted better with the marinade time, I don’t know. I guess so. Prep time was listed as 10 mins, then the 2-hour marinade that I forgot, then 35 mins cook time. Minus the marinade, the whole thing took me 103 mins, 1 hr 43. Oh well.   

I’m not sure I’d do it again, but it was an interesting process and resulting stew.

No comments: