Thursday 3 August 2023

Comic Con Manchester '23

Gustaf Skarsgard

“Is that a Rune?” asks Gustaf Skarsgård. Floki from History Channel’s Vikings recognises the style of design on my t-shirt straight away. “That’s the same rune as my tattoos! I should be able to read it.” 

I explain the rune means ‘Tuckey,’ my surname, which itself derives from Toki, the Viking tribe. I would have loved to have chatted longer, but time is limited during these photoshoots. 

Skarsgård is my first booked photoshoot at Comic Con Manchester. It’s Sunday, 30th July, and today I’m 41 years old. I’m spending most of my birthday around TV and movie stars here in Bowlers Exhibition Centre. Along with the shoots, there’ll be panel discussions, trader halls, giant robots, cosplayers, opportunities for autographs with guests at their tables, set builds, iconic vehicles from movies and TV shows and a PA from local group Lina and the Lions

The Manchester event has now become so large that after entry you’re first led through an external tent set up as a trader hall, before you get into the Bowlers entrance. 

 

 

The second attraction of the day: the Vikings panel with Gustaf Skarsgård and Jordan Patrick Smith, Ubbe in Vikings. 

Compare SoCalVal asks about their favourite franchises. 

Smith opts for Robin Hood: Men in Tights, which explains a certain amount. 

“I learned to ride horses for Vikings,” explains Gustaf. “I thought, ‘This is not what I signed up for!’ My parents had read Lord of the Rings to me growing up. I love that stuff. Your parents occupation is your first exposure to adulthood.” 

(Gustaf’s father is famous Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgård of Breaking the Waves / Good Will Hunting fame.) 

SCV: "Any advice for getting into the industry?" 

GS: "Learn your craft. They can’t take it away from you if you’re grounded in your craft. There’ll always be a need for you." 

SCV: "Who inspires you?" 

GS: "A few geniuses. Daniel Day Lewis, Joquain Phoenix. They do it from pure genuine drive. It costs something. There’s a reluctance almost, to put yourself in that position." 

SCV: "What’s your research process?" 

GS: "I try to research, but I’m unlikely to become the character. Someone get this guy a pair of tights! There’s a link between insanity and genius. If you push yourself, you find it. But, you’re on unstable ground, and you might fall in."   

Gustaf goes on to describe the end of Vikings as "a highly emotional moment, a beautiful ending." I only got part way into Season 4, so as it stands, this is a mystery to me. Other audience questions reveal Odin to be Gustaf’s favourite Norse God, who can transform himself into various creatures. Many of his attributes, Gustaf explains, are actually Floki’s. 

Princess Monoke, from Studio Ghibli, is his favourite animated film.   

Next up: the Mike Starr photo shoot. You’ll recognise him as Pooter the Clown in Uncle Buck, Frenchy the nightwatchman in Goodfellas, Frankie in Miller’s Crossing, Tony in The Bodyguard, Joe the hitman in Dumb and Dumber, George in Ed Wood and Thumper in Clockers. He scoffs a pork pie before the photoshoot. Good guy.   

Seth Green’s photoshoot isn’t long after this, and it was great to meet the voice of Family Guy’s Chris Griffin and Neil.   

SoCalVal next welcomes Seth Green to the stage for a Q&A. He tells us early on that he’s contractually disallowed from using his Chris Griffin voice except when it’s an official Family Guy event, which scuppers my plans of asking him to give us some Scott Evil lines in Chris Griffin’s voice.  

“Everyone in the UK is really polite and friendly,” Green tells us. “I’m a fan of all this stuff.” He waves a hand around the building.   

SoCalVal asks about being an actor at a young age. (Green starred in The Hotel New Hampshire at 10 years old, and has several other acting credits from childhood.)   

“I made my own decisions. I spotted where people had gone right or wrong. I’d seen some where people had had done it well or blown it. I’m always cast as the bad influence trying to give you a drink.” 

 

  

 

A kid in the audience asks him about his trainers, his Nike Air Jordan 4s, and asks for industry advice. 

“Just do it,” is his soundbyte suggestion. I don’t think the pun was intended. 

The next kid demonstrates his evil laugh (“you don’t need my help,” he encourages). 

An audience question brings up actors he’s returned to collaborations with. 

“When you work with someone you already worked with, it just deepens your connection. You’re thinking about being honest.” 

Next, a guy asks about Star Wars. 

“Star Wars? Isnt’ that the one where they war in space? The first time I met George Lucas I was an idiot. I was, ‘Hey man, what’s up?’ When you work with someone you admire, you have to separate yourself and be professional. Turn (the fanboying) off.” 

The next Q is about Green’s animated show Robot Chicken. 

“I’ve always been into stop motion. In the 90s people were doing this thing called ‘the internet.’ It was a choice: a US network called Adult Swim vs a little bit of money.” 

AQ: “How much do Americans get British humour?” 

“I grew up on hard British humour,” Green divulges. “Like Benny Hill. I find it (the humour, not Benny Hill) really attractive. Robot Chicken came from Flying Circus.” 

AQ: “Do they get it?” 

“Don’t make me…” Green says reluctantly. “Have you seen our country in the last few years?!” 

Another question is about videogames, which Green describes himself as being terrible at and does a convincing impression of his characters running into walls and suchlike. 

AQ: “Favourite animated film?” 

SG: “Into the Spiderverse is one of the best animated films I’ve ever seen.” 

AQ: “What was your fear 30 years ago vs your fear now?” 

SG: “Over time, I’ve developed a fear of large crowds of people. Sometimes you’re just real afraid of something, and we do it anyway.” 

AQ: “Would you do Family Guy on Broadway?” 

SG: “I’d love to do a play. I did American Buffalo. But no-one’s asking me to do theatre.” 

The next guy approaches the mic with a big instrument case. 

“What’s in the case?” Green asks. 

“Nothing,” the guy replies, and his glance shifts to the side. 

Green’s eyebrows furrow. “Very sus.” 

“Are you actually in the room with the other guys when you record your lines?” 

“Very rarely. It’s hard, but any time you get together, the energy is much better.” 

AQ: “Anything you want to do with acting?” 

SG: “I love telling stories. Writers and actors are on strike for the first time in 80 years. I’ve got a limited series, it won’t be long.” 

A kid takes the question mic next. “I know I look young for Family Guy jokes-” 

“Nope,” Green insists. 

“Can you do the laugh?” 

“No,” he says, in Chris Griffin’s voice, and adds on the trademark CG goofy laugh. He tells a story of falling into a Gorilla enclosure while working with now deceased Robin Williams. 

Further questions and answers reveal reading the Family Guy script for the first time as far back as 1997, and it’s initial cancellation. “Sounds about my luck,” he thought. Obviously, things took a different turn, Adult Swim took an interest, and a DVD release came next. This sells out, and (distributors) Fox asked, “Do you have any more?!” His on-screen sister Meg, who the whole cast love to tell to shut up all day, is ironic because Mila Kunis – voicing her – is “the hottest woman.” An answer to a question brings up Green’s involvement with Fallout Boy’s music video for This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race. This happened “through meeting random people,” culminating in a funny funeral scene – his words - in a cemetery, in which Greene guest stars. 

AQ: “Which do you prefer? Family Guy v South Park?” 

SG: “Both, to be completely honest. South Park sees it through the eyes of kids, see how ridiculous it is. Family Guy doesn’t do that.” His favourite South Park character is Randy. "I really appreciate all the pop music he gave us as Lorde.” Greene ends with, “Thanks for spending your Saturday with me!” 

(It’s Sunday.)

Star Wars set


Batman '89 props

Philip Pope, Tony Angelino in Only Fools and Horses, also a composer who wrote for The Beegees and wrote The Chicken Song for Spitting Image! Other music creds include themes for Through the Keyhole and Who's Line is it Anyway








Moe's Tavern from The Simpsons

Robin Reliant from Only Fools and Horses



Cinquecento from The Inbetweeners

Stay Puft Man cosplay from Ghostbusters

Tardis

Hopper's truck from Stranger Things

Gwyneth Strong, Cassandra, and Tessa Peake-Jones, Racquel Turner, off Only Fools and Horses





Postman Pat's van

Luke's Land Speeder in Star Wars

Clive Standen, Rollo in Vikings

Wookie cosplay

Walking Dead door

ECTO-1 from Ghostbusters

Jabba the Hut set

Only Fools and Horses set


Viking cosplayers

Hanging out with 99th Garrison


Heisenberg cosplay from Breaking Bad

Book of Boba Fett chair

Wolverine, Flash and Wolfman cosplay




Lucy Martin, Ingrid off Vikings

'89 Batmobile

Alanna Masterson, Tara Chambler in The Walking Dead


Cosplayers The UK Walkers including Stu Arnold The Entertainernator

Hobbit door

 

No comments: