Sunday 15 October 2023

My Facebook has vanished

Not sure what I’ve done to upset the Facebook gods, but my primary account of 15 years has disappeared without trace. On Friday the 13th, of all days. I fell asleep Thursday night after a gym class, feeling more tired than usual, then woke up at an obscure hour and had only access to a backup family Facebook. I’ve tried to recover the primary account based on this Linkedin guide. Facebook sent me a code via SMS to input into their system. Then they claimed to have sent me an email with a ‘final step.’ At the time of writing this has not come through. 

I’d backed up a load of pictures. Wish I’d backed up more. Why did this happen? I don’t even remember receiving a warning on Facebook. I mean, there was this from 6 weeks ago:

A lot of my photos and videos are backed up on a Facebook just for family. Some are on the blog. Some videos are on Youtube. Some, potentially elsewhere due to some synching technology that I don’t totally understand. 

What riles me is, last I checked, I was having to report the same Facebook friends over and over due to their barrage of anti-vaxx content. One individual in particular – someone I was good friends with for many years – went totally over the edge. I was, admittedly, screenshotting all of her conspiracy statuses, wiping out her face and name, and sharing them to X. I also reported her to Facebook every time, yet nothing was done. Why does she get to keep her account and I don’t? And is this behind my Facebook disappearing? 

Or did I say something opposing the Israeli regime? I did on Twitter, and the consensus is I was right – Israel have illegally occupied Gaza and are now throwing people out of their homes and cutting off the water supply. These are human rights abuses and are illegal under international law. They are war crimes. And this has nothing to do with religion at all. But did I say this on Facebook? I have no way of knowing. 

This is the particular issue I face: I used Facebook to remind me what I have done since 2007. I could search for a word or phrase to see if I’ve ever discussed it on the platform, and when. Granted, I can do the same with this blog, and X (Instagram doesn’t offer this feature to my knowledge) but Facebook is what I’d been on the longest. When you have memory difficulties, having the ability to search through what you’ve shared allows you to piece together what happened at a certain point in time. Maybe it’ll come back. Maybe it won’t. This is why it’s good to have multiple platforms. I just wish I’d backed more up. 

I had a temporary cough and cold, not COVID. I’m over the worst.

No comments: