Thursday 28 September 2017

#tbt- Championship Boxing, New York 2000

I've uploaded a few items from this holiday before, but there are a few treasures worth sharing from the weekend in The Big Apple. On the plane over there we were sat near some guy from Emmerdale who's name escapes me and my holiday group. This bloke- heavy-set and dual-heritage with a shaved head I think- was with a group of his mates, flying over for this fight: Lennox Lewis vs Michael Grant.


On the flight over there, him and his mates got hugely drunk, spilled their drinks everywhere, performed crap Ali G impressions shouting 'ride da punani' at the top of their voices and got bollocked off the stewardesses.

A few days later, in Manhattan one evening, we wandered past Madison Square Gardens. The area was quiet, although posters for the Lewis Grant fight were draped huge over the building. I asked the doorman what was happening tonight.

“They're fighting,” he said.

“This fight?” I asked, like a total moron.

“Yes.”

I pushed my luck. “Can I take a look?”

“No.”

Well. Hardly the blag of the century. Great holiday, though.

Also on the boxing card, Arturo Gatti vs Eric Jakubowski.


8 years later, Gatti was dead.

The Lewis Grant fight:


The Gatti Jakubowski fight:

No comments: