Saturday 9 February 2019

Barking Tales


So Wednesday night I listened to a girl stand on stage and tell a story about, literally, shitting herself. A Comic Con panel it was not. Well, actually, it kinda was.

Barking Tales is a night of stand-up comedy with a mental health theme, held in the hangar-like tikki bar Zombie Shack, just under Oxford Road train station.

I went with two different meetup groups: Socially Awkward and Talk About It Mate. Both of these groups have a mental health theme, evident (hopefully) in their names, and I made an attempt to bring the two groups together- I definitely spoke to people from both groups and don't remember any difference. Good, welcoming people. Great for first-timers and shy people. I presume we coalesced before the compare Harriet Dyer took the mic.

Harriet was a good compare in all fairness: she never ran out of ideas and had good rapport with the crowd. A problem, which I frequently have at stand-up comedy gigs: she just wasn't very funny.

There was a funny story from someone- I can't remember whether it was her or the first act. If I remember rightly, it was about soiling herself in someone else's house. You really had to be there.

Glad I experienced it, though, and it's worth a look next time it's on. It's held on the 1st Wednesday of the month.

No comments: