Sunday 9 June 2019

Pain in the mouth

This week has been not a pain in the arse, but a pain in the mouth.

On Tuesday I wandered around Manchester, looking for any Public Relations information: new bars or shops opening, police incidents, any marketing info about events... I wasn't sure what I'd find exactly but I got some photography done.

View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Matt Tuckey (@matttuckey) on


View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Matt Tuckey (@matttuckey) on

I'm researching a few finds at the moment.

On Wednesday I had oral surgery to remove bite trauma from the inside of my cheek. The whole of the side of my face swelled up and I slept a lot afterwards. I'm still mouthwashing with saltwater and necking ibuprofen like they're Werther's Originals. As a result I've slept, read and watched a lot.

Watched this docu on the birth of Public Relations, featuring an interview with a PR pioneer, Freud's nephew, Edward Bernays and focussing on oil magnate John D Rockefeller.


Interesting, but the industry has moved on so much it's near unrecognisable from its inception.

Finished reading Jurassic Park, the 1991 Michael Crichton novel. It's a weighty, generous tale, very similar to the movie adaptation but much steadier and with more emphasis on the science harvesting fossilised remains, this leading to the creatures being revived after a 365 million year wait. A lot of the violence was removed for the film to get a PG rating, and some of the book was used in the movie's sequel, The Lost World. Half way in the tension starts to rack up. Worth ploughing through.

I also read Teach Yourself Successful Public Relations in a Week from the highly reputable Teach Yourself range. The short but comprehensive book by former BBC / Heathrow Airport PR manager Brian Salter takes you through the main tenets of public relations, and quizzes you after each section.

Next up: a couple of comics from Oldham Comic Con: John Wick was a cliched revenge story about a hired assassin seeking vengeance for his murdered team. Features an unrealistic fight scene and stops abruptly. Wonderland was a corny, bloody fantasy about a murderous, giant talking rabbit.

Deathstroke the Terminator came next, an early 80s graphic novel that predates James Cameron's Terminator franchise. I assumed it was some kind of 'versus' story when I picked it up. A heavy, fast-paced tale of a soldier-of-fortune ninja type, jacked up to a huge size after a military experiment went wrong. Deathstroke's alter ego, Slade, is as much of a villain in the outfit as he is out of it- he's an old, rich, white guy, a Savannah trophy hunter with little cultural knowledge (he seems to think a mosque and a temple are the same thing- that could be another entire graphic novel if the writers are savvy enough). He's served in humourously mythical places like 'Kurac' where he was fighting the dictator 'Kaddam.' An enjoyable romp which I guess I stumbled upon by accident.

I tried another episode of 70s Advertising drama Mad Men, but found it all rather dull. Same goes for political drama House of Cards. Both had ties to PR but weren't dealing with the sector head-on. There doesn't seem to be many TV shows portraying the industry.

I revisited Phone Booth, the 2002 thriller starring Colin Farrell as Stu, a slick-talking, 2-timing publicist blackmailed into standing next to a Manhattan public phone until all of his dirty truths are revealed. It's a good movie, but has dated somewhat. There were a few 'you brought this on yourself' films in that time period (Se7en was 7 years prior, the Saw franchise soon followed), plus there were a few discrepancies that I didn't think of when I first saw it as a 20-year-old. Wouldn't he need to pee at some point? I would have thought the film would have had more tension if it had been written with restricted narrative- if we'd never left Stu's side. It would have meant we never got to hear the police's side, nor saw the guy in the building behind the rifle, but it could have been done.

Perhaps all 4 of these shows portray PR people in a negative light. I'd say it's massively undeserving, as over the last few months I've met a lot of PR people and they're- for the vast majority of the time- good people. I briefly mentioned on the blog here that towards the end of January I volunteered at a local PR company. I won't name them just in case, but the team were positive and supportive professionals- down-to-earth, good teachers, careful listeners and people who genuinely wanted to make the world a better place. One of the projects involved a road safety campaign in which we were trying to get drivers to be more aware of cyclists: to give them space, to be more tolerant and to accept that the vast majority do follow the Highway Code. If you've ever cycled through traffic you can imagine how hard it would be to change public perception on that.

I have more Public Relations ideas in the pipeline.

No comments: