Wednesday 22 January 2020

Once Upon a Time in Great Britain: Part 9

INT. ROYAL APARTMENTS- DAY.

Tom opens the door. He's covered in dust, oil, blood and sweat.

Dave leans on a kitchen cabinet at the other side of the flat, drying a very dangerous- looking meat knife. A few other utensils are drip-drying. Dave is staring at Tom. He's sporting the shiner that Tom gave him.

DAVE
I read in Arena that as soon as you finish washing a meat knife… You’ve gotta dry it there and then. The moment you let it drip, it starts to oxidise. That’s when you get rust. You dry it straight away, and keep it sharp… It’ll cut through through meat like new.

Dave puts the knife in the drawer.

Tom is very still for a second then lunges at Dave. Dave steps out of the way and Tom vomits into the sink.

DAVE
You’re a bit of a celebrity, Tom… Making all the headlines… Almost a shame you can’t go out and… you know, take the limelight.

(A pause, then Dave explodes with anger)

DAVE
Fucking Callum? That prick? I watched you get in his car.

Tom is starting to stew. He’s very still.

TOM
It was for Devant.

DAVE
Was it? Devant told you to do it, did he?

Tom crashes on the couch getting dust and oil all over it. He stares at the TV, which is airing a Newsnight- style discussion programme fronted by a very hard-nosed presenter.

HARD NOSE
So John, you’re suggesting that these attacks are not the work of Islamic extremists, not the work of any Northern Ireland faction but something internal, home grown and- what, particularly British?

JOHN
That’s right, yes. Someone’s obviously very tired of living here and the placement of these bombs gives good indication of where they would like to see changes made. Now remember- the Prime Minister has admitted he has no idea who is behind the bombings, but I think we can put some puzzle pieces together.

DAVE
Mate, there’s no way Devant would have sent Callum to get you, then do something like that. Devant’s right wing, he needs the censors on his side. He’s controlling what the public see!

TOM
I told you what happened. Deal with it.

DAVE
Yanyan’s vanished, Tom.

JOHN
I don’t think this has anything to do with Islamic extremism, Ireland, ETA: I think this is something we haven’t seen before and they are attacking everything that the Prime Minister has- so far- failed to deal with- STI rates, child obesity…

TOM (in self pity)
You know I’m twenty-two and I’ve never had a full-time job for more than a month? Did you know that everyone at uni was scared of me? None of this is helpful… Now I’m Britain’s most wanted and I’m not flattered. All I wanted was to stand on my own two feet. Like a normal adult. I don’t control anything.

FLASHBACK
Tom pushing the paper over at the computer shop.

TOM
If I could just stop doing stupid shit- if I could just have controlled myself, none of this shit would have happened… Am I ever going to get out of this alive, Dave? Will Devant just kill me? Or am I stuck in this forever?

DAVE (Heartless)
We’ve all got our problems, mate. Jesus. Reach for the Kleenex. My heart bleeds.

JOHN
Now remember that most of the people in that restaurant were very young- excuse me…

John’s voice breaks. He’s almost crying.

Hard Nose glances off screen, awaiting advice. He’s uncomfortable. His steely persona has slipped.

HARD NOSE
So it’s uh… It’s British values and, uh, attitudes that need to be turned around?

No answer. John is very still.

HARD NOSE (to the camera)
Uh, a somewhat poignant message to us all that the responsibility is ours as individuals to look after ourselves, and-

Hard Nose’s earpiece seems to be telling him something.

HARD NOSE
I’m getting reports now of what may be another terrorist attack this time in the town of Wilmslow on the outskirts of Greater Manchester…

Tom leaves the room and crashes on his bed. He lies there a second before…

DAVE (off)
Tom! Tom!

Tom reluctantly drags himself up, back into the room. As he pushes the door open…

TV PRESENTER
The work of one man alone. If anyone has any information available…

TOM (deep shock)
Oh. Oh no.

The news displays a full screen photofit picture that looks remarkably like Thomas Aaronson, BSc Hons. Tom collapses.

FADE TO BLACK.

No comments: