Saturday 23 July 2022

Disability Pride Month

I belatedly learned that July is Disability Pride Month, a Stateside celebration of ‘people with disabilities, to honor their inherent dignity and inalienable rights, promote their visibility, and applaud their achievements.’ 

One or two disability influencers in the UK are starting to mention the campaign to raise awareness of the challenges faced by disabled people like us. The flag, featuring a multicoloured diagonal stripe, has numerous meanings. Follow the above link for more. See also Lucy Dawson's video.


I have short-term memory difficulties from an Acquired Brain Injury at birth. There was a complication at that time, I have a scar as a result, and I forget a lot of stuff. That’s the main thrust of it. Connectedly, I’ve also battled depression and anxiety since I was a teenager. From 25 onwards, I’ve spent a lot of time in disability-related departments: supported employment, numerous psychology / neuropsychology teams, social care, counselling, psychotherapy, CBT, etc. etc. 

A lot of it has been 2 steps forward, 1 step back, but the majority of it has allowed me to move forward and become more capable and independent. I’m 40 this month. I’m honestly past giving a stuff about other’s opinions, and the days of me worrying about sharing my experiences are long gone. If people want to read about it or ask me about it, they’re more than welcome. Beyond dismissing other people’s negativity, which I rarely encounter anyway these days, what can I say about pride? 

I’m not so much proud of my condition, but I am proud of the work I’ve done to swerve / ameliorate the problems I might potentially encounter. I’m organised. I take good notes. I can write well. I can explain my condition to employers and colleagues. I’ve had my NHS treatment. And yeah, I’m proud.

No comments: