Tuesday 4 July 2023

Viking Month: Practical

Here we go. A month to 41 years old. 

The last challenge I set myself last year was to start to take on the tenets of a Viking lifestyle. I’ve just spent a month researching my Viking ancestry, and watching a ton of Viking show The Last Kingdom. I’ve emailed many museums and public bodies to see whether they know anything about Toki, the Viking tribe from which the Tuckey surname derives. I’ve found a few interesting points (that can be found in previously uploaded posts). 

Just today, in fact, I got a reply from Clare Hyatt from National Museums Scotland, again referencing the Toki Runestone, and other museum finds from the Viking era. 

Next up: less researching, more practical. 

Don’t worry, no village raiding / murdering / raping, but certainly more gym work that mirrors the average activities of a 9th century Norseman: pulley work to mirror the effect of wood cutting and swordplay, deadlift, farmer’s walk, chin-ups, dips, rowing. Possibly some axe throwing at venues like Whistle Punks. My mum does a lot of outdoor craft, woodcutting etc. I’ll see whether there’s anything I can help with that suits. More authentic rustic food: The veg (roasted or stewed), dairy, only unprocessed meat maybe once a week, porridge, bread, and apples as the only fruit. I know a cookbook I should probably buy. I’ll still be eating only twice a day. That said, I still have tons of freezer food that needs finishing. 

It’ll be a mix. 

I’ll probably be watching a ton more Viking shows on Netflix, whilst working out. I weighed myself this morning: a tragic 83.1kg. I’d like to lose 11kg this month.

No comments: