Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Journal Club: The Space Between

 

I missed the last of Hinterland’s Journaling Club nights because it clashed with the recent solar eclipse – I’d seen that from Hartshead on the Oldham / Ashton border.  This time, on the 23rd, I got some food and got seated, just about. Popular event. The theme this time: 

THE SPACE BETWEEN 

Organiser Fi asks the group, when an event happens, what do I do before I react? What occurs in that space? The first writing prompt of the night: 

WHEN I HAVE TO WAIT, I FEEL  

Usually impatient. I’m not a good waiting person. My normal reaction to these times is, ‘can I use this time to my advantage? Can I read? Write? Or am I going to reach for my phone as per?’ Why do I feel this discomfort with inaction? I’ve wasted so much time on the internet over the years, why do I have this horrible feeling of life slipping away from me? Just because I have to wait and have nothing to keep me busy? Also, why am I forgetting how to chew? I’ve nearly choked about 8 times this week. 

- 

Next up, a discussion and a few pointers on the board: 

  • Culture of immediacy 
  • Speed = value? 
  •  Waiting as an active process 
  • Something happens [gap] response 
  • Space                 
  • Not avoidance 

Next, a 6-minute prompt: 

‘THE SPACE BETWEEN FEELING SOMETHING AND ACTING ON IT IS…’  

In that space, what kicks into effect is known as ‘inner game.’ Inner game is like your metaphorical ‘engine under the hood,’ your psychology, your ability to regulate your own emotions, act on them? Will you steady your breath, pause, analyse the situation and deal with it in an appropriate manner? Sometimes, responding immediately can mean you react angrily, based on emotion, lacking critical thinking. But other times, you can pause, plan to speak up properly about someone’s behaviour, but then end up putting it off, stewing on it. Where’s the middle ground for this?   Am I starting to sound like The Log Lady from Twin Peaks? 

- 

Next up on the board, the title: 

SPACE IS VALUE 

Under this, a list of prompt words. 

NOW 

DISTANCE 

MOMENT 

STILL

HOLD 

SOON 

LATER 

ECHO 

CREATE 

EVENTUALLY 

SEASON 

HESITATE 

PAUSE 

In a 10 minute burst, we wrote something with these words as prompts, on the theme of ‘Space is Value.’ I decided to make it extra difficult for myself and put it into rhyme.  

Pen to paper, words, they form fast 

Space is value, forming a contrast 

A month of excess, time is all filled, 

But now in the moment, pause and fall still 

Pen to the pad, now a time to create 

No time in this vegan café to hesitate 

Alcohol-free night, reprieve for the liver 

Between all the lines, inspiration delivers 

Breathe, retrieve words mentally 

Sentences form on the page eventually 

- 

And that is as far as I got in the time we had. I read it out to the group; they seemed to like it. 

Great to be back at Hinterland’s events. I’ve missed being creative, and I’ve missed their food too. I also listed the event on the Manc Mates meetup group and got a couple of attendees. No confirmation if they were at the actual event. 

Journal Club is back on the 14th.

No comments: