Well, it’s time for another Psychology Saturday update, including anything vaguely psychology-related from this week. Most of this update will involve this absurd ‘Excess Month’ in which I attempt to make space in my cupboard by drinking as much of the alcohol in it as possible.
The last few mls of a bottle of Glen Morangie – that I’ve probably had since 2008 – was the first thing to be emptied out down my gullet this week, followed by the remaining quarter of a 2012 bottle of fine Bacardi that I remember buying in Brighton Pride. Also polished off: the last of the Aldi Ballycastle Peanut Butter variety. Exquisite indulgence.
Finished watching the very weird Twin Peaks series. I’m a big David Lynch fan but I understood none of it. Was I supposed to? Maybe not. The murder mystery remains unsolved after 2 seasons, but there were plenty of other things that were left unexplained, like… all of it. The DVD extras include plot updates that Americans could receive – in the late 80s and early 90s – by phoning a specific number, read out by the actors playing their characters. I still don’t get it. I think the whole point of Lynch’s work is that you absorb the feeling, the dream-like state of the work, without totally getting the narrative. Just breathe it in, like the pinewood air of the fictional rural Washington town.
Next up: Withnail and I, a 1987 Brit classic featuring 2 1960s pisscan out-of-work actors taking a break in Penrith Cumbria. The cottage they’ve inhabited, however, comes with some obstacles – namely the closet gay uncle they’ve borrowed it from. They drink a lot of alcohol. As it happens, I met Paul McGann – the titular ‘I’ – at Comic Con Yorkshire in June ‘24.
Revisited a university classic in Old School, featuring Will Ferrell, Luke Wilson and, interestingly, Snoop Dogg and the dude off Mulholland Drive who has a heart attack when he sees the homeless guy. Older guys start an unsanctioned college fraternity, drink a lot, smoke a lot of drugs, and have unwise (and borderline illegal) promiscuous sex. The Dean – that they used to bully in school – is out for revenge. Still funny, but has perhaps not dated well. I saw Snoop Dogg at Parklife in 2014.
Watched stand Up Guys, a 2012 crime comedy. Al Pacino gets out of prison, meets up with his old career criminal friend Christopher Walken and decide to party to celebrate freedom. Cue booze, cocaine, prescription drugs, prostitutes, hospital visits, car thefts and fine tailoring. Chaotic fun, needed a bit more umph to make it stand out. Ending is a bit ridiculous.
That’s all so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment