Sunday 27 January 2019

The Kid from Gremlins Follows Me! etc.

Hey look, Zach Galligan, Billy from Gremlins, follows me on Twitter. Amazeballs.


I went to Banyan in the Corn Exchange twice this week, Friday and Saturday night. It was a coincidence that two unrelated groups of people organised this and sat at the exact same table. Great traditional British food. A little pricey for what it was, and no January deal unfortunately. I also forgot to check the price of Glenmorangie Signet, and was £20 down by the time they served it.

Will I ever learn?


On Saturday, after the meal, we dropped into new Northern Quarter bar The Honey Trap Club, a Berlin-inspired bar. I've been to Berlin but I can't say if it was a good reflection of Das Kapital's nightlife scene as we were denied entry from most of these places for being Brexiteering bastard tourists.

HTC was certainly unique, with underplayed 80's hip hop, very basic décor, exposed breeze-block walls, chip board, vintage props, beret-wearing girls and bearded 18-year-old hipster blokes. I'd go back.


These have been my first nights out since New Year, during which time I've watched a lot of Netflix and read a lot. I picked up a free issue of Swordquest at Golden Orbit's Comic and Film Fair, and have read it this week. A short, interesting tale of an ageing computer nerd going back to his Atari roots.

Today I read Predator: Kindred, a graphic novel about an intergalactic trophy hunter dropping in on a sleepy town, which has already been rocked by the controversial transportation of a serial killer through their locale, and a historical bloody murder. The culprit might have returned...

An entertainingly violent story, but fairly routine for the Predator franchise.

Looking forward to reading the rest of my purchases, plus now January is coming to a close hopefully the nightlife / Meetup scene might rejuvenate...

No comments: