Sunday 10 November 2019

Lost Cause, The Tavern, Vibe

After trying a Friday and a Saturday in new Manchester club Cirque, I dropped into their Thursday night event, Lost Cause.

Think cheaper drinks and a more studenty crowd. Same music. I didn't recognise anyone, but in attendance were Kaz Crossley and Theo Campbell from Love Island S3 and a local rapper called 'Tyreeeezy,' who I think performed one of his songs. I felt predictably out of place. To the club's credit they were more pleasant on the door than on Fridays / Saturdays.

Oh, also, on my way out I grabbed my coat from the cloakroom- long black wool overcoat from Moss Bros- and some girl came up to me telling me she'd lost her jacket. It seemed she thought I was a doorman. I guess the gym's paying off after all! 

Album here.

Friday night saw the launch on The Tavern, a new winter-themed pop-up bar in Spinningfields, on the site of the summer venture The Lawn Club. Open until January, the wooden unit is adorned with winter-themed artefacts- skis on one wall, snow shoes on another- and plays disco, funk and house at a conversation-encouraging volume. The barman told me that the company, Wepop, have a similar venture in Reading and Chelmsford. Well worth dropping into.

Saturday night: Manchester Cool Bars and Clubs tried out Vibe at Playground, the new Whitworth St club. Featuring a giant pink tank and a light-up dance floor, Playground is the newest offering in mid-priced Manchester clubbing. It's still a work-in-progress: the vending machines for drinks don't work yet and their drinks offers are confusing- an advert suggested £2.50 vodka mixers; my friend paid £5.

The night revealed further growing pains: there are bookable booths with bottle service, where they'll deliver champagne to your table with a sparkler in it, if you want to go 'baller.' The vibe I got was that most of these people were students, most of them getting pissed off if you're stood in front of them. On a packed dance floor, though, someone will be stood in front of you most of the night.

There are other floors, but on this night upstairs was booked for a private function.

And like the unit's previous concept, VIVA, there's no phone reception at the back, meaning few people are shooting video or taking pics. It's almost like going back in time. And what the hell is the dress code? Why are people- at Playground and Cirque- allowed in in trainers? And speaking of VIVA, they've still got the old club's branding o their disposable napkins.

Same overplayed music, but lots of eye candy. 

Album here.


 


  

No comments: