Saturday 24 September 2022

Why I got a Dopamine and Serotonin Tattoo

Before the pandemic I noticed a growing trend of people getting dopamine and serotonin tattoos. Serotonin and dopamine, two neurotransmitters, are the building blocks of anything we have ever liked. These chemicals enter the bloodstream when we experience pleasure, and are received by the nucleus accumbens, the pleasure centre found in the lower region of the brain, the basal forebrain. 

Immediately I knew I wanted that chemical structure tattoo, on the right wrist. 

It has taken me until yesterday to action that. I dropped into Inkin in Oldham, a studio I’ve been following on socials for a while. Among their clients are cyclist Bradley Wiggins, Tom Powell from Love Island, Maisie Gillespie from TOWIE and Chet Johnson from Ex on the Beach. Their artwork is top-notch. See their Youtube for celeb footage. 

I’m 40. I’ve spent much of my life battling cognitive issues like memory difficulties, depression, anxiety and a misdiagnosis of dyslexia. I’m not perfect, but thanks to NHS treatment and time spent in support group Andy’s Man Club, I’m a lot more in control (and happy) than I was. That’s what drew me to this particular design: a reminder that I can be happy too. I had a good chat with Amanda, who performed the tattooing, and Mike, the Managing Director, about their studio, their clients and about mental health in general. A rewarding experience all round!

No comments: