Saturday 3 September 2022

Passes of different kinds

 

I work in a part of the public sector. I avoid specifying which on this blog. I also have short-term memory difficulties, which impedes on my life on a pretty much daily basis. My phone, the device with which I store most of the day-to-day info I need but could never remember- is constantly in my hand. 

Throughout my life I’ve received support from here and there, different charities and organisations, and from the NHS (with varying results). Sometimes the support has been practical, sometimes financial, sometimes emotional. 

I’ve mentioned on here that I was using a concessionary bus pass, provided by TfGM, from I think 2008 onwards until the latest one expired in 2021. I’ve asked for this to be renewed, but they have refused. They’re splitting hairs over what is a ‘learning difficulty’ and what is a ‘learning disability.’ The disability team at the local authority have given them all the information they could need. They’re still refusing. 

The GP at my surgery, Dr M – possibly a locum, I’d not met him before – suggested he’d be happy to sign anything proving the condition I had. He suggests TfGM can ring the surgery for info, and that they can write a letter to TfGM for £31. I met with Dr M not entirely sure of what I was asking him for – I guess whether he knew what the ideal thing to do would be. Question is, do I want to pay the money just for TfGM to throw it back in my face again? 

Meanwhile, my Blue Badge – for parking – is about to expire. I’ve reapplied, with them this time asking for my PIP award score – a new restriction that typically the press have not picked up on. I’ve met the threshold, but there was more information that they needed. I could have sworn I’d sent the Blue Badge team information like: 

  • Photocopied evidence of some form of identity· 
  • Proof of your address. This can be a recent Council Tax or utility bill· 
  • A recent passport style photograph· 
  • Photocopies of any relevant documents to support your application, e.g. medical evidence· 
  • A £10.00 administration fee. 

Turns out the photo I sent was too old, and again I could have sworn I’d sent them my updated one via their website. Well, I’ve done it (again?) via email this week. 

These are the kinds of problems that occur with memory difficulties – not only can you forget to do things, you can, seemingly, imagine that you have done things that you apparently haven’t. Sure, everyone has these problems, but with memory difficulties it happens a lot more. 

Anyway, the badge is now on order. My current one expires around the end of the month. Stress. 

Thirdly, as an essential worker, I’ve found another benefit for which I’m eligible: The Blue Light Card. Describing themselves as ‘The UK’s No.1 discount service for emergency services, NHS, social care sector and armed forces,’ the scheme have sent me a card after I recently applied. A colleague told me about it. 

Adidas, River Island, Harvester and Trespass are among the brands offering discounts. I’ve yet to use it. The connection to psychology here is tenuous: I got my job through a scheme for people with disabilities, back in 2007. I’m somehow still with the same employer. 

 This is, so far, where I am up to.

No comments: