Monday 3 October 2011

Power is a State of Mind.


 
I am so happy that I am alive, in one piece and short. I'm in a world of shit . . . yes. 
But I am alive. And I am not afraid.
- Joker (Matthew Modine), Full Metal Jacket

Open a new tab in your browser. Google “power is a state of mind”. What’s the top result?

Cool huh?

Although cool it may be, I now have a responsibility to make it mean something. If you scan through this blog, you’ll see it’s the place to visit for info on social media, celebs, book reviews, creative writing and Manchester events and night life. Is it really about using your state of mind to bolster power?

Not greatly. But maybe it should be. Seeing as that’s what people are searching for when they find this site, I should incorporate it. I obviously really like the phrase. I really want to believe it and prove it by doing something- by wiping out my fears living a more fulfilled life. I could even use that mentality- in part- to springboard this blog from unknown to a popular Manchester reference point. I could make more money, have more success with women and, in theory, get my name known in Manchester- all through having a more powerful state of mind. After all, guys- how many times have you been in this situation: You meet a hot girl. She introduces you to her decidedly average-looking boyfriend. Your first thought: She could get a lot better than him. But then you hear him talk. Nothing seems to faze him. Maybe he’s not afraid of taking a kicking. Maybe he always speaks up when he’s not happy in an awkward situation.

Case in point- a floppy-haired barman I used to work with- a kid with the beginnings of a pot and- for some reason- the beginnings of a ‘tache- was in a long-term relationship with a beautiful blonde 18-year-old. They were quite an odd couple, who’d been to college together. Let’s call him R and her L. R & L studied drama at one of the colleges in Oldham. In their class, there was one student who had learning difficulties. The tutor would apparently make an example of this young man, frequently asking the group to help him out whenever the group was together.

R described objecting, not liking the way the tutor picked on him.

That’s what I’m looking for from you all,” the tutor had said. “Step forward and act when you’re not happy.”

It was probably 2004 when R told this story. Ryan already had power as a state of mind before the tutor gave the group this dubiously constructed lesson. I’m only just learning this now.

Expect a few changes on this blog. My friend and local zoological consultant Fluffy Oakes has agreed to contribute with a few articles which I’m sure will back up the theme. Fluffy is tough. Fluffy acts when he needs to. Fluffy will not let us down. Hell, I might even learn something from him. I’ll be writing a lot about women, overcoming my fears, and the growth of this blog. But I can only do that by acting and stepping forward. No theoretical bullshit. Only action.

Power is a state of mind. Hold that thought.

No comments: