Friday 21 October 2011

Search This Blog... If You Dare



My little girl is generous with secrets. I wish she weren't, frankly. Don't secrets sustain her, keep her separate, make her self-aware? How can she know who she is if she gives away her secrets?"
-CIA officer Win Everett in Don DeLillo's novel, Libra

Blogger- Soon to be Google Blogs- has an extensive list of gadgets that you can add to your blog. I've just added the search function, allowing people to check if I've mentioned a specific word or phrase.

The search tool has a benefit for me, and for you if you blog. I've been blogging for four years on this site, and have covered a wide range of subjects. If I want to show a specific post to someone, and I can contact them online, I can send them a link to a specific entry. If I meet someone face to face and I want them to check a particular update, It's now a little easier. Before I added the search bar, it would be difficult to point it out to them if all I did was give them my card. 


Now, for instance, if I'm telling someone about the time I got Trevor Sinclair thrown out of Baa Bar or I'm explaining how celebrity retweets can help blog stats, I can give someone the card and they can search for themselves when they reach the site. It helps the reader, and, of course, if it's easier to use it means more page views for the blog.

From logging into Blogger, go Dashboard – Layout – Add a Gadget. Search for “search this blog”. Click Add.

I would now like to invite you to search this blog for something utterly random. You never know. I might have mentioned it. More recently my posts have been to aid other people, and this has resulted in BIG stats. But dig deep and you'll find I've made the same mistake as Win Everett's infant daughter. I have given away huge chunks of my past for public consumption, in an attempt to be understood. I now no longer know who I am. What I'm saying is, what you might find may get a little weird.

Comment under here if you've found any surprises...

No comments: