Saturday 28 April 2018

Pointers for using Smartphones when you have Memory Difficulties


I've been using my Sony Xperia X for about 8 months now. Generally speaking, the notetaking facilities like OmniNote are superb. Athough it's been a huge help for me in terms organisation, I've come across a few sticking points. Some of these affect memory issues, some are more general annoyances that would be a problem for anyone.
  1. Facebook notifications don't always load properly. They take a long time to refresh, and occasionally your notifications page will appear blank.
  2. Instagram stories, temporary content to rival Snapchat, have become more popular since their introduction in the summer of 2016. I'm finding that the video content in these stories frequently freeze, and that you can only move on from this by tapping the screen to skip that particular story segment. I'm not sure whether this is an issue with internet connectivity or the phone's processor, but I don't seem to have this issue with videos on Facebook, for example, or videos on Insta's news feed.
  3. This Xperia and GiffGaff pay-as-you-go network provider allows me 4G coverage. It's great for fast data transmission, but most of Oldham's 4G coverage is abysmal. The phone can be slow to receive data.
  4. Another abysmal factor is the battery, which barely lasts a day. I think it's getting worse, and only having owned the phone for such a short space of time doesn't bode well for the future. When you rely on your phone to store the information that others would remember, running out of battery is an undeniable stress.
The main lesson I've learned from this is that it isn't just your own life that's going by while your face is glued to your Insta story feed- it's your battery life too. When you use your phone to stay organised, don't blitz your battery by scrolling through Insta stories endlessly.

If you're not familiar with Insta stories, check out this guide, which will probably encourage you to do exactly what I'm telling you not to.
 

No comments: