Wednesday 31 July 2019

Junkie


Fingers twitching, urges itching
To pull out what's hiding behind the stitching
Trying to focus on leaving it alone
No, you dirty bastards, I'm talking 'bout my phone!
One five three grams of electrical power
Battery life hardly over an hour
Assistant personality extension
More apps installed than I care to mention
Firefox app connects to the mainframe
Facebook and Twitter causing a brain-drain
My main aim- is not to fangle
With the little black plastic rectangle
Kids down mines to make it function
Without cobalt I'd have no compulsion
It wouldn't be so bad but what's making it worse
Is I sit down at my desk and I'm badly underworked
The urge to tweet hits; I just can't stop it
Then I'm delving back into my trouser pocket
Social media brings a hit of dopamine
A retweet means pleasure washes over me
It's overly addictive, so much it's emotive
It's got to the point where my manager has noticed
My bad habits seem to cause some friction
The issue has been raised during supervision
I don't think they realise that this is an addiction
I am an addict. Can't they see past my diction?
You spend years learning to speak and to write
but other shortcomings leave you sleepless at night
A night without sleep means a day out of kilter
Browsing your camera roll, laying on a filter
Where is the will to- resist the temptation
And while work's quiet, find a vocation
But wait, I think, how stupid could I be?
The answer's here, staring right up at me!
Go on your phone and you'll get bollocked just like I did,
But pick up a pen and no-one bats an eyelid.
Give yourself a hit, and then you want more of 'em
Addiction can frequently stem from boredom
Whether Instagram or whether cocaine
No matter the vice, the process is the same
What if it was none of these things, bear with me, just think
What if we changed the substance to ink?
You can probably guess where this is going
Why surf twitter when you could be scripting a poem?
No-one suspects when you're not texting or talking
Matching the vowels releases endorphins
Finding syllables with which to couple up
My vacant occupation is inspiration enough
A matchup with the vowels means I know what to put
Anyway my manager's coming over so I'll shut the fuck up.

No comments: