Friday 13 December 2019

Saddleworth Santa Dash 2019

1500 Santa Clauses gather, some setting stopwatches, some jogging on the spot to keep warm, in the middle of the high street in Uppermill.

It's Saturday 7th December and the annual Santa Dash is about to start- a 5km jog through Saddleworth's muddy, leafy countryside, down main roads, bridlepaths, over hills and looping back into Uppermill again. I've spent a few months trying to up my running game- it's time to see if my efforts have paid off.


Well, it seems not. Last year's time was 31 mins, this year I got nearly 37. I blame the meds. Not the ravenous appetite for junk food and the reluctance to go out in the freezing cold and practice longer running routes.

The run is getting more popular as the years go on. Whether it will reach Portland OR's SantaCon levels of notoriety remains to be seen...


No comments: