Thursday 17 October 2013

Meeting Ricky Hatton

Former IBF light welterweight champion and local boxing star Ricky Hatton visited Manchester Arndale Waterstones on Saturday to promote his autobiography, War and Peace: My Story. I got there an hour early when there were only 30 people in the queue. Before long, the shop looked like this:



Most signings I’ve been to haven’t had queues this long. Even in retirement, Hatton has a huge following in his home city, as detailed in the book (which I started reading in the queue).

He was a little bemused when I gave him my blog card: “Ey, wot? Oh right thank you very much.”

Part of Ricky’s national appeal is that fame and success have never impacted on his northern, blokey persona, something that was apparent both at the signing and in his autobiography.


No comments: