Wednesday 29 November 2017

You've changed


Writing warmup exercise from Writers Connect with the above phrase as a prompt. 10 minutes on the clock. I produced this:

“You went to Avici White without us?!”

“Well, yeah.”

“Where was my invite?!” Hudson throws his arms out slightly, like this admission has stung him in both his armpits.

“Well, would you have come if I'd have asked?”

“Yeah,” he blurts, as if it was the most obvious answer.

“Last time I asked you you didn't wanna go; you were out in Oldham,” I stress, “again.”

“But it doesn't matter where you go,” he says, jamming his thumbs into his jeans pockets.

“Hudson,” I say, rolling my eyes, “Come on. That's just a bullshit phrase people use to, uh, to get people to do something they don't wanna do.” I stun myself with how confident I can be since the last time I saw him, and remember that it was that phrase, his group's mantra, that pushed me away from his group in the first place.

“Matt, you've changed,” he says.

“Yeah, Ferro said that on Facebook,” I remind him. “Because I won't go to Yorkshire Street. I don't go to Oldham.”

“But we're your mates,” he says, “and that's where we go.”

My blood runs cold as I stare into those black pupils, and remember the discomfort I felt when I first met him- my instincts telling me, I now realise, not to get involved.

“Hudson, Oldham's a shit night out. The only change is I won't put up with it.” I walk off.

No comments: