Saturday 1 October 2022

I don’t get it. Do the government think I’m vulnerable or not?

I mentioned ages ago that my disability travel pass expired some time last year, and that TfGM won’t renew it, for reasons that aren’t clear. They’re splitting hairs about what defines a ‘learning difficulty’ and a ‘learning disability.’ As I’m not a social services client under the Learning Disability team, TfGM have refused my application. 

Meanwhile, I have the same condition (short term memory difficulties), I’m still on PIP and I’m now a Blue Badge holder. 

On Thursday, I received a letter from the NHS advising me to book my 4th COVID jab. ‘Your doctor’s practice should contact you to make the appointment, if they are giving COVID vaccine boosters.’ The previous 3 shots were not administered at my own GP surgery, so this is perhaps unusual. Are they? Are they not? I dunno. Above this, the letter states, ‘When you book your vaccine, you will need to tell them you are in a high risk group. This is because you are on the learning disability register.’ 

Really? What register is this, exactly? It’s not the local authority’s Learning Disability team, as stated. Is it the DWP’s, who provide PIP payments? If so, why can’t I have my travel pass? 

I often wonder whether it’s the condition itself that prevents me from understanding this, or whether in fact the NHS, Local LD team and TfGM haven’t actually sat down and figured out what they’re going to say and allow, and what they’re not. 

I suspect the latter.

No comments: